Monday, December 1, 2008

Alive, I am.

Wow. Last blog was, what, October 16? Wow. Well, to start, I'm going to run down the list of shows I've gone to since then (for posterity), and then get to other updates.
October 17 was Paul Baribeau at the bakery. About 20 people showed, if that.
October 18 was the Sassyback tour with Cobra Starship. Unfortunately, the openers were Sing It Loud, Hit The Lights, and Forever The Sickest Kids. Cobra is always a blast though.
October 19 was the Rock Band tour. Panic At The Disco, Dashboard Confessional, Plain White T's, The Cab. Panic and Dashboard are impeccable live.
October 24 was Of Montreal at the Pageant. Most ridiculous stage show ever. Kevin Barnes is so flamboyant. And straight.
October 27 was Emery, Hawthorne Heights, The Color Fred, and Tickle Me Pink. Small crowd, but still fun. We left before HH, though.
October 28 was Dance Rawr Dance 2. Family Force 5 was fun. PlayRadioPlay was cool. Danger Radio and Ultraviolet sound were pretty awful.
October 30 was the Uncle Fest Tour. House Of Heroes=awesome. This Providence=bad. Ludo=awesome. Relient K=meh. And by meh, I mean, they played one of my favorite sets in recent memory.
November 2 was Underoath, good as usual. Saosin was weak. The Devil Wears Prada seemed a little off. Person L was grrrreat.
November 14 is in the running for my favorite show all year. Steel Train, probably my favorite live band. Dear And The Headlights, the band who put out the best record all year. Forgive Durden, not really a fan, but this Razia's Shadow rock opera thing is crazy. Person L, aka Kenny from the Starting Line, aka one of my new favorites.
November 29 I saw Mike Judy's band, Machree at Cicero's. The venue was smoky, the people were drunks, the band was pretty bad. But hey, who's complaining?
I think that's all I can remember.

Life is about the same as last time. Still being all mushy and in love. Still stumbling through senior year. Still writing for school newspaper. Still going to shows. Still without job and vehicle. In other words, I'm living the dream. Here's some interesting things you might want to hear. Since August, I've been taking a piano class, and I'm starting to really pick up some skills (sort of). Basically, I go to tabnabber.com and learn bits and pieces of songs when I can. I can play some Relient K, some Jack's Mannequin, some Rocket Summer, some Death Cab For Cutie, some Sixpence None The Richer, some Ben Folds (I learned "Bitches Ain't Shit" today, Haha), and some Coldplay, to name a few. It's fun, and not too tough, and I think I might stick with it.

Wednesday, I'm going to the Creepy Crawl. Fall Out Boy is playing. Yes. Fall Out Boy. Yes, the Creepy Crawl. Yes, that hole in the wall bar that only holds 400 or so people. Yes, I know you're jealous. Okay, maybe not, but I'm excited nonetheless. My friend, the aforementioned Mike Judy booked the thing, so that's pretty sweet as well. I don't know yet if Hope and I can get in, but with our connections, determination, and arrogance, I think it's possible.

I've been seeing a lot of movies lately, whether at school, or on Hope's couch. Dead Poet's Society is brilliant. The Number 23 is weird, but interesting. Catch Me If You Can is fun. Benny and Joon and quirky and pretty darn hilarious. The Notebook is not actually a chick flick, and I think if my tear ducts weren't broken, I might have got a little weepy after that one. That seems to be our go-to activity lately. Hope and I seem to make a couple Blockbuster runs a week now. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

I'm running out of things to discuss now, so I'll leave you with my most recent column, on being politically correct. Enjoy. Till next time. Oh, and as a quick side note. I know I haven't been online to talk to some of you as much as I used to be. I still check myspace and facebook daily, but I've been using email too (therealchristucker@gmail.com), and I check it quite a bit. Plus, I check it at school when I'm way bored and need human contact. In other words, you guys should email me, if you're into that sort of thing. If not, myspace and facebook are tried and true favorites. Oh, and you can virtually stalk me on twitter now(twitter.com/ChrisTucker). Yeah!

Christopher Michael Tucker

"Politically Correct...TO THE EXTREME!"
According to dictionary.com, being politically correct “involves changing or avoiding language that might offend anyone, especially with respect to gender, race, or ethnic background.”
According to Chris Tucker, being politically correct involves “using a lot of feathery words so as to avoid offending a couple overly sensitive whiners”.
This is a feeling I hold year round, but when December rolls around, I become especially vocal on the subject.
In the last few years, our nation has become consumed by the idea that we must do everything in our power keep self-esteem at its highest possible level.
Teachers are told to write “Good job!” or some other form of pre-packaged encouragement on students’ papers, even when said teachers are well aware the work is less than superb.
And then when December comes, everything from advertisements to decorations blandly reads “Happy Holidays.”
Yes, Christmas is a traditionally Christian holiday. Yes, that means it involves Jesus. Does that offend you? I’m terribly sorry.
Well, be forewarned then. In February, I would prefer you don’t say “Happy Valentine’s Day.”
Because that offends me. Because I don’t believe in love.
See how ridiculous it is now?
The concept of political correctness in its truest sense is rank with hypocrisy.
Don’t you see that by rejecting the concept of Christmas, you are being judgmental and exclusive yourself?
To quote urbandictionary.com, “Political correctness has a basic flaw. If all views are equal, why do some who embrace this view feel the need to push this agenda as the ‘correct’ one at the same time demonizing other views as ‘incorrect’?
The whole notion is just completely illogical.
I don’t know about your personal life. Maybe you celebrate Hanukkah. Maybe you celebrate Kwanzaa. Maybe you don’t celebrate any holidays in December. You obviously wouldn’t want to select one as being superior. That wouldn’t be politically correct, now, would it?
All I know, is that this December, I won’t be attending any holiday parties or holiday plays, and I certainly won’t be opening any holiday presents from under the holiday tree. I plan to have a very merry, and a very politically incorrect Christmas. Can I get an Amen?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

That was a really awesome column.

December 2, 2008 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger meg said...

that fob show is going to be insane!

December 3, 2008 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger lexidoodleellis said...

seriously...

why do people have such a beef about it.

christmas ia a national hoiday.

we dont get off school for kwanza or hannakah anyways!

ive never heard of anyone celebrating kwanza EVER! i ehard it was a completely made up holiday..

alexis

December 4, 2008 at 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home