Thursday, October 16, 2008

Teenage Politics.

I'm sitting in College Prep English 12 right now. We're supposed to be writing a research paper (mine's about animal testing), but I've got other things on the brain. About 45 minutes ago, one of my favorite teachers, Mr. Urie, barged into the room dressed as Uncle Sam. Urie's in his sixties I'd say, a tall, broad shouldered and bespectacled man. He is a avid supporter of the Democratic party, and he doesn't hide it a bit. So imagine that...dressed as Uncle Sam.

I've become very interested in politics lately, ignoring the "I can't vote, why should I be informed?" mentality. And it seems a lot of my fellow high schoolers are doing the same. Basically for the last 45 minutes, Urie, plus English teachers Anderson and Lopinot have talked politics with the class, and it's been an active and heated discussion. "Is it wrong to vote for Obama simply because he's black?" "McCain is becoming moderate to the extent that he is closer to 2000 than 2008." That sort of thing. It's just encouraging to see kids so active and involved.

We're actually having a kidsvote election here. I figure Obama's going to win since much of the school is...well...very proud. But I could be wrong. There are a surprising number of McCain supporters here, some of them pretty avid. But enough about that. Politics are probably a little boring to you. My life is probably a little boring to you. Why are you reading this anyway?

Well. Quick update of the interesting things. Things with Hope are splendid. I saw The Matches on Sunday and Death Cab For Cutie on Monday, which was absolutely stellar. Ben Folds is here tonight and tommorow, Paul Baribeau plays a bakery. A freaking bakery. Saturday I see Cobra Starship. It really is quite the full week. But that's about all I've got for now. Just felt I needed to post something, and I needed something to distract me from my work anyway. Plus, yesterday was blog action day. Sorry I'm late. See ya.

Christopher Michael Tucker

Hmmm. Music recommendation. Check out the new Dear And The Headlights record, "Drunk Like Bible Times." Definitely on my top 10 of 2008 so far. Along with the new House Of Heroes, which a lot of people are digging. I'm happy for those guys

3 Comments:

Blogger lexidoodleellis said...

none of my friends can stop talking about politics.

i am interested, but just not very well informed.

i do, however, know who i would vote for...

alexis

October 18, 2008 at 5:56 AM  
Blogger Jess :]] said...

Its funny you mention that, because I've been noticing it in my school too. Right now I'm learning more and more about each candidate. But not enough about either of them to choose who I would vote for if I could.

Have fun at your shows!
New HoH sounds good. I need to get it.

Later d00d.

October 18, 2008 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yeah I'm only kind of getting into politics because I'm taking Gov this year....

November 1, 2008 at 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home