Friday, May 9, 2008

"Find profundity in the mundane events of life."

The title of this entry comes from a Death Cab for Cutie documentary I watched earlier this evening. Ben Gibbard is a brilliant man. This quote made such an impact on me, seriously. I wrote it on my hand immediately so I wouldn't forget. I was talking with a friend of mine awhile back about tattoos and she mentioned that she could definitely see me getting something really meaningful. I agreed and I thought pretty much about song lyrics, but I wouldn't restrict it to that after that Gibbard wisdom. I respect that guy so much. Man.

Today has been startlingly mediocre. I say startlingly because when the hopes and intentions I had for today are compared with the actual results, you end up with two shockingly different pictures. I did end up hanging out with friends after school as Kyle,Kevin, and I practiced for the show tomorrow. Tom watched. Around 5, I went home for dinner, after being told I'd be called later and picked up for an evening at the planetarium with the same friends, minus Kevin, plus Tricia. Around 8:50, when I still hadn't heard anything, I called Tom to see what was up. I heard noise and laughing and was told that they "kind of forgot" about me.

It's just so frustrating. For years, I've been waiting for that little circle of friends so connected and so perfect, and I feel like I've found it with these guys. That's why this sort of thing is so brutal. I felt like I had a real place, and had a key role in our happy little clique, and it all seems washed away right now. I'm sure this is not true, and that they meant nothing personal through their (non)actions. But I always take things like this personally. And this instance hits really hard. I don't even feel like showing up for the Red Sea show tomorrow. I really considered not going earlier, but I probably will end up there, at least for the sake of my friend Sarah, who got us the show.

While this has been an awful start to a weekend, tomorrow will be almost instantly better. I'm finally seeing Iron Man, which I'm pretty excited about. It looks killer, and I get to hang out with my friend Viken for the first time in quite awhile. Should be good. The rest of the day is up for grabs. Or maybe it isn't. Who knows.

Christopher Michael Tucker
(http://current.com/items/88941110_death_cab_open_windows?xid=55)
There's the DCFC documentary for anyone that likes DCFC and/or documentaries.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Gelso said...

My night went similarly. Mandi still hasn't returned any of my phone calls and ignored my ims. Yep. I take things like that persoanlly as well. Even though I'm positive I've found my group, I still struggle for acceptance.

May 10, 2008 at 8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

November 10, 2008 at 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home