Monday, January 26, 2009

THE BEST OF 2008.

In a way, I hope you've all been waiting for this. And in a way, I hope very few of you have, considering how long it took me to finalize some of these decisions. But without further ado, here you go. The best albums of the year 2008.

Biased pick: Relient K- "The Nashville Tennis EP"

After being a little disappointed with the band's tendency to lean towards a poppier sound on the last record, I was happy to hear these 13 new songs, which hearkened back to the sound of their previous ventures: rock, rock, rock, and a little bit of (TASTEFUL) pop. And humor! Check out my favorite track, "Where Do I Go From Here."

18. Anthony Green- "Avalon"

Green's solo project is nothing like Circa Survive. The writing is simple. The music is simple. And I'm okay with that. I could have used more songs like "She Loves Me So" and "Dear Child (I've Been Dying To Reach You)," but the positives far outweigh the negatives here. Listen to one of my favorite tracks of the year, "She Loves Me So."

17. The Black Keys- "Attack & Release"

I'm not from the (dirty dirty) south, but I'd have to be dead not to recognize the brilliant southern rock tinged riffs and soulful tones on this record. Quite possibly the band's best record to date. Check out "I've Got Mine."

16. My Morning Jacket- "Evil Urges"

This band got a lot of good press this year, and it's no wonder why. This record is crazy good. It's really a step in a different (and sometimes weird) direction for Jim James and company, but I dig it a lot. Check out the 8 minute Turing machine, "Touch Me, I'm Going To Scream, Part 2."

15. Conor Oberst- "Conor Oberst"

Contrary to popular belief, this is not "basically a new Bright Eyes record." Conor, along with the Mystic Valley Band, pursues a much more folky direction, showcasing a sound that would feel out of place under the typical Oberst moniker. Listen to my favorite track, "Moab."

14. Tom Gabel- "Heart Burns"

I like Against Me, so it's really a no brainer that I would like this record, considering the 8 tracks would not seem out of place on a future AM! album. There's no real focused theme on this record, but it's still a solid release. Listen to "Amputations" featuring Alkaline Trio's Matt Skiba.

13. Flight Of The Conchords- "Flight Of The Conchords"

The third most popular folk parody duo in New Zealand put out their first full length in 2008. It features songs from the band's show on HBO along with a few new tunes. As expected, it's hilarious. Listen to the less than seductive "Business Time."

12. MGMT- "Oracular Spectacular"

This is probably the most overrated record of 2008. That's not to say it isn't good, though. I saw these guys open for Of Montreal in late 2007, and something struck a chord with me. Then they released the single, "Time To Pretend," which struck millions of chords with millions of people. Good for them, I guess. Listen to "The Youth."

11. The Hold Steady- "Stay Positive"

Craig Finn and company once again deliver a brilliant record. So what if it belongs in a different decade? So what if Finn sings less than stellar? The music is fun. The lyrics are quirky and smart. Mission accomplished. Listen to "Constructive Summer."

10. Ace Enders- "The Secret Wars"

Released free via the Fuse.tv website, this album is a thank you from the former Early November frontman to all the fans who've stuck with him through his constantly changing career. It's catchy. It's upbeat. It's fun. All this from a 26-year old guy who doesn't even wear neon. Crazy. Listen to "Body Like Mind."

9. House Of Heroes- "The End Is Not The End"

Another solid release from the Columbus, Ohio quartet. Much like my pick for number 10, this record is both catchy and fun, and at the same time, not Forever The Sickest Kids. Didn't even know that was possible, did you? Anyways...Yeah. This is a great powerpop record. 14 solid tracks. Listen to "Lose Control."

8. City And Colour- "Bring Me Your Love"

Alexisonfire guitarist and vocalist Dallas Green has soul. Seriously, this guy's got some pipes. If you like your music folky, acoustic, and in general, beautiful, you need to hear this record. Oh, and there's only one song about a girl. So the album's original! Give "Sleeping Sickness" a try.

7. Paper Rival- "Dialog"

Gotta love it when a band releases one of the best albums of the year then calls it quits. (Sarcasm). Regardless, this really is a solid record. I don't really know what to say except that these guys had a really nice, unique sound, and I'm gonna miss them. Listen to "Bluebird."

6. Of Montreal- "Skeletal Lamping"

Sex. This album is about sex. Kevin Barnes (the band's cross dressing frontman) really embraces his alter ego, Georgie Fruit, an African-American she-male, on this album. And it's dirty. And it's fun. And it's funky. I love this band. See them live if at all possible. It's quite the spectacle. Get into "Id Engager." Listen for the line, "Ninjas! Move it!"

5. Panic At The Disco- "Pretty. Odd."

At first, I shunned this album. "They just want to be the Beatles!" I cried. But now, I'm okay with that. After seeing them live on this record cycle, I began to understand the reason for their stylistic change, and I no longer minded it. In fact, I relished in it. I can actually take them seriously as musicians now, without the makeup heavy vaudevillian live show, and all that nonsense. Listen to "Pas De Cheval."

4. Death Cab For Cutie- "Narrow Stairs"

So it's no "Plans." It certainly isn't "Transatlanticism" by any means. Yet still, it is Death Cab, and thus, pretty darn good. Ben Gibbard's written better songs than these, but an DCFC song that's just "alright" trumps "good" songs from most other bands. Ya know? Listen to my favorite track, the Jack Kerouac inspired "Bixby Canyon Bridge."

3. Person L- "Initial"

I think back to the last March when The Starting Line visited St. Louis on their final tour. I was upset. I was sad. Sure, I knew about "that other project Kenny was working on," but I knew it wouldn't be the same. And it isn't. But oh my goodness, is it ever good. The record is really gritty one second, and smooth the next, drawing on influences as contrasting as Drive Like Jehu and James Brown. Listen to "Wooden Soldiers."

2. Forgive Durden- "Razia's Shadow"

After the recording of the band's first album "Wonderland," all but one of the members of Forgive Durden left the band, leaving frontman Thomas Dutton. With the help of his brother Paul and Rudy from Gatsby's American Dream, plus this brilliant rock opera of sorts was created. Did I mention the record features guest appearances from members of Say Anything, The Dear Hunter, The Hush Sound, Panic At The Disco, Saves The Day, The Matches, and The Audition? Well it does, making the album all the more enticing. Listen to "The Exit" featuring Brendon Urie of Panic At The Disco and Dan Young of This Providence.

1. Dear And The Headlights- "Drunk Like Bible Times"

I flat out love this band. I flat out love this record. Seriously, what a great sophomore effort. Brilliant lyricism. Solid hooks. Great musicianship. Impeccable vocals. Just all around great. I listened to this album in the car for a good 3 weeks straight and didn't get the least bit sick of it. Hands down, the best of the year. Check out the first single, "I'm Not Crying. You're Not Crying. Are You?"

And there you have it. My 19 favorite records of the year 2008. Check out the playlist below with all the songs I recommended. I'd appreciate it, and I know the artists would as well. Till next time.

Christopher Michael Tucker

6 Comments:

Blogger Ryne said...

Agreed with a good half of your list. And probably would agree with some others just haven't got around to listening. Of Montreal and Dear and the Headlights are both on a huge list of cd's i need and I may add a few of these. Liked the City and Colour record and loved the House of Heroes record. However, on this list I didn't see the new Britney record or Kanye's last "effort" so I'm not sure you've heard the true best of 08.

January 28, 2009 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger Jess :]] said...

Ooooh I know/like a lot of your list! Whooooaaa. But yeah, I will check some of this stuff out. Like City and Colour. Everyone's been going nuts about them/him lately. Must be good, then.

January 28, 2009 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

That was good. Like the other two, I will definitely check out City and Colour since folky, acoustic, and beautiful is my favorite.

January 29, 2009 at 6:21 AM  
Blogger meg said...

every time i go to best buy i stare at the mgmt album but never buy it. maybe i will next time

February 4, 2009 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger AE said...

my goodness! how do you manage to get into so much stuff?!

March 10, 2009 at 6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you blog anymore, and by what I have seen, that is such a shame. I would love to hear more about current music happenings.

Anyway, love the list. The end is not the end, by HOH is amazing. Love that album as well as City and Colour.
Haha, I love how you added Narrow Stairs because 'it is still death cab.' I am looking forward to Codes and Keys by them.

Ngaio May : )

March 11, 2011 at 4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home