Monday, December 15, 2008

The white snow, the rock show.

I WROTE THE BEGINNING OF THIS BLOG ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO, DECEMBER 15. AND THEN I FORGOT ABOUT IT.

Today was a snow day. There was very little actual snow. More or less, school was called on account of ice. Which is fine by me. I got to spend some quality time with the missus, and sleep till 1. We might have another day off tomorrow, on account of the supposed 3 inches we're going to get tomorrow morning. It'll be a little iffy though, considering the brunt of the bad weather's supposed to hit during the morning rush, a little while after principals submit their final word on whether or not the school day will take place as scheduled. I won't say anything derogatory about our administration, considering big brother's [(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brother_(Nineteen_Eighty-Four)] probably reading this right now, but we'll likely have school tomorrow.

A lot of people are upset about the off days, considering it is, in fact, finals week. But personally, I'm not opposed to pushing them back to later this week, or even after break. More time to study, says I. Not that I actually will. But, you never know, I might. Nevertheless, I'm pulling for another relaxing day at home tomorrow.

Wednesday, my mom let me go to a show out of town. Even though I asked her basically at the last minute. It was crazy. Granted, the show was only 2 hours away, in Columbia, but still. That's out of character for her. The show was at the Blue Note, a venue I had visited earlier this year for a Relient K show. This time, the line-up consisted of Scouts, Envy On The Coast, and headliners, Taking Back Sunday.

BACK TO PRESENT TIME.

Anyways, that show was fun. It was my first time seeing Envy On The Coast, and they did not disappoint. Local openers Scouts were decent. TBS was great. Their fans are seriously rabid, though. Twice I've seen them now, and both times, the pits have been more intense than a lot of hardcore shows I go to. Seriously.

Christmas was good. I got a lot of cash, some clothes, and a brand new Casio keyboard, that I've been playing almost non stop when I'm actually at home. I've gone to a lot of our school hockey games lately too, which is actually fun. For a long time, I've been really down on hockey, but going to the games has been a blast.

Ludo's annual Christmas show was on Sunday. It sold out. I wasn't prepared for that. Still, I knew I would get in somehow. Craig's list and Ebay failed me, so the day of the show, Hope and I headed to the Pageant armed with cash and a sign (made by Hope: she's the creative one) reading "We need 2 Ludo tickets." We walked the line for a couple hours in 40 degree weather, finally picking up a pair of tickets, and headed inside.

Unfortunately, the pit was already pretty full, but we pushed our way in anyways. Chicago band "Oh My God" played first. Awful, awful stuff. Local band Building Rome played next. Pretty bad. One of their guitarists actually smashed his guitar at the end, though. Which was dumb. It was a black Gibson SG that probably cost a good 500 bucks at least. Family Force 5 played next. I like those guys, but their show is always the same. And the kids in the pit were being really stupid. This one in particular thought it would be a good idea to jab me in the kidney as he flew into the action. I was already a little ticked to begin with and stupidly, I took a swing at him, aiming for the head. He dodged it, which was probably good, considering I'm not much of a fighter, and I had upset Hope quite a bit by doing this. So I backed off.

Ludo is one of my favorite live bands. Always a blast. A Very Ludo Christmas is always a spectacle, and this year was no different. The only letdowns were the omission of "Saturday Night Thunderbolt" from the set and in general, the nature of the crowd. It was quite evident that many of them had come to hear a single song, "Love Me Dead" after hearing it on local rock station 105.7 The Point. Regardless, the show was good.

Today, my mom is making me mad. That's all she seems to do lately. I don't know if it's just her temperament, the monthly visitor, or something else, but for real, I can't stand it. Luckily, I'm getting out of the house tonight to go catch House Of Heroes at some new club in St. Charles. Should be a fun time. In the ten minutes since I wrote this, things have changed. And I probably can't go. I am pissed. Bye.

Stay tuned for the list of my top albums of the year. I should have it up within the next few days or so.

Christopher Michael Tucker

3 Comments:

Blogger Ryne said...

i gots a keyboard, too!

January 3, 2009 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger lexidoodleellis said...

sounds like some fun shows.

me and my friend tiffany are really into ludo lately and are driving down to see them in orlando in a month or two....

i hope you get to see HOH tonight!

oh and thats pretty sweet you got a new casio.

i wanna hear some of your jams..


alexis

January 3, 2009 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger Jess :]] said...

1984 scared the crap out of me.
You know the part where the picture frame says "You are the dead." ?
I jumped.

Sucks you can't go see HoH. :(

January 14, 2009 at 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home